OH Weight loss tickers

Friday, May 31, 2013

I am Iron Woman!





It's been a while since I've updated.  Everything has been going really well!  I'm learning so much about my new life after the Duodenal Switch.  I went at the end of April to do my 6 month labs and got my results back a few weeks later.  My heart goes out to the nurse that called me to discuss my results...  LOL!

I told her not to stress over what it said and to just send me the results.  Just what I always wanted to do...  Learn how to interpret a comprehensive lab report.  No, really...  Who knew learning about what does what or which ones work together to do what would be exciting and fun!!!  What a learning experience!

So...  I've got some deficiencies.  But thankfully, they are old deficiencies that are actually getting better since the DS.  The only real issue that needed to be addressed was my Iron levels.  I have IDA (Iron Deficient Anemia).  The best course of treatment for this is an iron infusion... get my Iron Woman pic now ô¿~

I'm scheduled for my first of 2 infusions next Thursday.  The second will be 1 week later and in 3 months, we'll do another set of labs and see how much improvement we have made.


I need to say that I am really proud of how far I've come. For the first time in forever, I feel in control of my life and my body. When I had the sleeve, I was young and naive and I thought I was invincible. I neglected to retain what I learned or to be proactive about maintaining my health. I thought just losing weight would solve all of my problems. But I have come to realize that this process is psychological, physical, and physiological... the trifecta of P's. I'm getting it this time. I'm learning and retaining. I'm being an active and productive participator in my own health instead of just expecting it to happen on its own. 

Being that I was never a vitamin taker before this surgery...  I had my doubts that I would be able to live up to such a huge commitment.  Even my own husband had his doubts!  I must admit that I have been scared straight.  I truly understand the implications of not taking care of myself.  I'm trying to play catch-up from years of neglecting myself and my body.  But knowing that I am making progress is such a big thing to me.  Looking at my spreadsheet with my lab results and seeing the good work I've done...  It's awesome.  I will not only be healthy physically, but at a cellular level as well.  Isn't that what we should be striving for?  Not just to lose weight and look good in a bikini (not that I'd ever be seen in public in a bikini) ...  but to truly be HEALTHY!

At 7 1/2 months out, my weight is at 260.  93 lbs down.  I'm only 24 lbs away from my all time lowest weight.  It's exciting and scary at the same time.  For the first time ever, I feel like reaching my "onederland" goal is finally attainable.  

Only time will tell.

Until next time...  =)



 

No comments:

Post a Comment